Since India is becoming the top tourist destination, travellers are exploring various regions of this country in every season. From bottom south to top north, there are many places that give immense reasons to explore. If you love winter and playing around in the snow in the hilly region, then head to the northern part of India where snowfall makes the every hilly region look beyond the words. The most amazing part of visiting hilly regions of north during the winter season is watching snow-capped mountains around, freezing climate and engaging in winter adventure programs. From Kashmir to Manali, there are options to explore places during snowfall season. However, you need to be equipped with all the winter equipment and be ready to get chilled in the -degree climate.
Let us check the top 5 places to see snowfall in India:
1. Kashmir: The first instalment of snowfall starts from Kashmir, making the place more beautiful and charming. Pahalgam is the noted hill station in this region that offers great scenic view of snow-capped hills and trees. Trekking and riding horses are the common activities during the winter season. Along with Pahalgam, there is Gulmarg one of the top tourist destination in Kashmir and is known for winter adventure like world-class skiing slopes and Gondola ride the highest one in the world. One of the best parts of this place is the heart warming silence that lets visitors enjoy whispering melodies. So why go to Switzerland or any other location when Kashmir is here. Moreover, during the winter season, accommodation rate is quite low because it’s an off-season.
2. Auli: One of the popular winter destinations in India, Auli is known for glittering slopes and clean environment. Blessed with apple orchards, oaks and deodars, Auli attracts many tourists during winter. This is the best place to visit and experience highest snowfall in India. Located at 2800 meters above the sea level, it is a home to the mountain ranges of Nanda Devi, Mana Parvat and other hilly regions. Enjoy the local delicacies like Kachmauli, Bal Mithai and other hilly region food. Auli is also known as a skiing destination in India. There are various adventure services that offer skiing to visitors. There is Gurso Bugyal that offers picturesque view of the Himalayas range of mountains like the Nanda Devi and Dron. Also check out places like Kwani Bugyal, View Points and Trishul Peak.
3. Shimla: The next stop for the winter destination which witnesses highest snowfall in India is Shimla. Imagine yourself walking on the roads of Mall Road which is known for heritage slanting roofs and various shopping option is worth exploring. Manali during Christmas and during heavy snowfall looks really scenic and becomes the popular destination. Honeymooners and groups of youngsters during this winter season visit Manali to enjoy the charm of snowfall and engage in various adventures. Visiting Manali during one can enjoy Ice Skating, Trekking in the snow-capped mountain and River Rafting along Sutlanj. Imagine yourself sitting at your hotel balcony and enjoying a few pegs of wine is the most amazing thing one can do.
4. Patnitop: One of the least known places in North India, Patnitop is located in the Udhampur district of J&K. Located on the NH 1A, between Udhampur and Srinagar, it is close to Shivalik belt. The name originated from Patan Da Talab which means Pond of the Princess. During the winter season, this charming located is bathed with heavy snowfall making the place worth exploring. Madhatop is an astonishing place for adventure lovers. Skiing is the prominent adventure activity performed here. The place opens up to the scenic beauty of Kashmir Valley. Embraced with gradient slopes and skiing trails the place becomes ideal for touring around. There are some good hotels and resorts offering good accommodation.
5. Dalhousie: Located at the foothills of Dhauladhar range, Dalhousie is an important winter location in India. Walking through the oak and pine trees, picturesque view of the Himalayas and many more things, Dalhousie is the perfect location to explore. It is also the region that experiences highest snowfall in India after Shimla and Manali. Gateway to Chamba, Dalhousie offers many places to explore during winter season. Some of the exotic locations are- Bakrota Hills, Khajjar, Panchpulla, Jandri Ghat, and other location. The breath taking mountains of Dalhousie looks charismatic during winter season and pulls a huge number of tourists to enjoy the refreshing climatic condition. There are also some winter adventure activities that take place which shouldn’t be missed.
Apart from the above top 5 places that experience heavy snowfall in India, there are also other locations like Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and many more. Exploring these locations during winter, which is also the off-season offers you a good travelling experience under budget accommodation. There are winter tour packages that can be availed for that include adventure, stay, travel and other things essential for a trip. So once the winter arrives, pack your bags and head to north to get soaked into the snow.